The Tefhtronis municipality (province of Githio) with its center in the Tefhtroni (Skoutari) village was founded in 1835. In 1841 it was named the municipality of Kolokinthios and joined the municipalities of Knakadios, Asini and partly the municipality of Skopos. In 1864 the municiple centre moved from Flomokhori to the village Kotronas and in 1896 was called again the Tefthronia Municipality.
The first municipale seal was round and plain and it got its emblem only in 1871. The emblem showes «a squash with leaves» and was surrounded with the words «Municipality of Kolokinthios».
In 1896 a new round seal was made and its emblem depicted the «bust of Artemis» and round it were the words: «Municipality of Tefthronia». In 1848 the population of the municipality was 2051, in 1879 – 2560 and in 1907 – 2660. A resident of the municipality was called a «Tefhtriniatis».
According to the «Ioannis Kapodistrias» project there was founded Municipality of Eastern Mani with the center in Kotrona. It occupied an area of 108900 sq. and its 2024 residents live in 6 quarters (former communities) that include 30 settlements.
Speaking of the history of the municipality it is interesting to mention that many myths of the Greek mythology were based on the local events of Eastern Mani.
Municipal telephone: 0733/25283 and 21205