Municipality of Githion (province of Githion) was founded in 1835 and its center was in Githion (Marathonisi). In 1841 many villages and one part of the Skopo manucupality joined it.
The round municiple seal has an emblem that depicts the «scene of a dispute between Heracles and Apollo ". Round the emblem are the words: "Municipality of Githion". In 1848 the population of the municipality was 2401, in 1879 – 4243 and in 1907 – 7253. A resident of the municipality is called "Githeatis".
According to the "Ioannis Kapodistrias" project there was found a municipality Githio with its center in Githion. Its area is 19731 hectares and 7542 people live in its 18 quarters (former communities) and settlements.
The Municipality has an Archaeological Museum (tel.0733/22427) and the Tzanetakis Towers Museum (tel.0733/22676).