The municipality Itilos (province of Itilos) with its centre in the village Itilos (Vitilos) was founded in 1835 and then in 1840 joined the municipalities Areos (Areopolis), Nikandros (Pirgos) and Ippola (Drialos).
The round municipal seal has an emblem in the centre of «Appolo». Round the emblem are the words: «Municipality of Itilos». In 1840 the population of the municipality was 6160, in 1848 – 8165, in 1889 – 7885 and in 1907 – 8018. A resident of the municipality was called an «Itilios».
The Areos (Areopoli) municipality was founded in 1835, its centre was located in the village Aris (Tsimova) and its resident was called an «Arios».
According to the «Ioannis Kapodistria» project there was founded Municipality of Itilos with the centre in Areopolis. It has an area of 22480 hectars and 4985 people live in its 10 quarters (former communities) and villages.